Homemade Whipped Coconut Oil Body Butter Recipe


 
Does your moisturizer make you nervous? Let me guess: it's either filled with questionable ingredients or wildly expensive. Or both. Like you, I've been seeking a natural alternative to those bottles of creamy (but chemical-laden) conventional lotions. It hasn't been easy. Coconut oil has always been a top contender, but it wasn't until I tried a new coconut oil body butter recipe that I finally found my personal holy grail moisturizer.


Whip It: The Secret to Moisturizing with Coconut Oil


I've been having an on again, off again love affair with coconut oil as a moisturizer for a few years now. I love that it's pure, natural and even inexpensive. But we don't always get along, and in the winter things get hard. Literally. I practically need a jackhammer to get enough coconut oil out of the jar to moisturize my dry winter skin. This is a serious problem, because I'm a big fan of convenience, and wrestling with a jar of coconut oil isn't exactly my cup of tea in the wee hours of the morning.

Heating the jar to melt the oil never worked for me, either, because I chronically forgot to do it! So most of the time I'd end up digging it out with my fingernails, or I'd just give up and go back to my old lotion stand-by. But deep down I felt there was a way to work things out. Coconut oil and I were meant to moisturize together. I just needed to figure out the how.

One day I ran across a recipe for whipped shea butter, and this got me thinking: can you whip coconut oil? Well, by golly, I had a brand new KitchenAid mixer sitting on my counter (my husband sure knows how to melt a girl's heart on Christmas!) and five gallons of coconut oil sitting in my pantry. Why not give this coconut oil recipe a go?

The result was a superbly light and fluffy moisturizer that far exceeded my expectations. With a jar of this on hand, I doubt I will ever be tempted to fool around with expensive store bought lotions ever again.

Want to try it out? Here's how you whip coconut oil:

Whipped Coconut Oil Body Butter Recipe


I love that this coconut oil recipe only requires one (yes, one!) ingredient. Anything else is completely optional. It also only takes a few measly minutes, and you'll have enough whipped body butter to last at least a month or two. In fact, if you get carried away, put some in an attractive jar and it makes a great gift! It feels sinfully luxurious as a moisturizer, and yet an entire jar of it costs less than $2 to make.

What you need:
  • 1 cup coconut oil 
  • 1 teaspoon vitamin E oil (optional)
  • a few drops of your favorite essential oils for fragrance (optional)\

What to do:
1. Put all ingredients into a mixing bowl. Note: Do not melt the coconut oil first. It will only whip up if it's solid.
2. Mix on high speed with a wire whisk for 6-7 minutes or until whipped into a light, airy consistency.
3. Spoon the whipped coconut oil body butter into a glass jar and cover tightly. Store at room temperature, or in the refrigerator if your house is so warm it melts the oil.
Tip: An electric hand mixer will work, but my KitchenAid stand mixer did an amazing job and I was able to get other work done while it was mixing away. A blender or food processor will not work with this coconut oil recipe, because they tend to warm the oil too much and prevent it from whipping up.
Note: Your whipped coconut oil should stay relatively soft, even at colder temperatures. If it's really cold, it will become a little more solid, but not rock hard like it normally does. I noticed mine beaded into a froth of tiny coconut oil pearls that melt right into my skin. Love it!


    Looking for high quality coconut oil at an affordable price?  Check out the marketplace! 

    Have you made this whipped coconut oil recipe? Do you have your own coconut oil recipes to share? I'd love to hear from you in the comments below!

    Do you love coconut oil? You might enjoy these posts:

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------



    -----------------------------------
    Follow Me on Pinterest